[crux-devel] CRUX 2.6 Testiso with dm-crypt support

Juergen Daubert jue at jue.li
Thu Aug 6 18:27:16 UTC 2009

On Thu, Aug 06, 2009 at 12:05:41AM +0200, Thomas Penteker wrote:
> * Juergen Daubert (jue at jue.li) wrote:
> > On Wed, Aug 05, 2009 at 12:43:15AM +0200, Thomas Penteker wrote:
> > (...)
> > First thanks for you work, but again you are very late with it,
> > because we released an official 2.6-test1 already. Adding new
> > features after that is something we should avoid.
>
> You are right, of course. My current working situation did not permit me to
> get this done earlier.
>
> > Cryptsetup and dependencies should be added to packages.opt if we
> > need them as packages on the ISO.
> > Adding opt/popt to the ISO might create hidden problems, because
> > other (core)ports will link against popt if installed. Currently
> > our ISO bootstrap process can not prevent that, so we have to
> > carefully check all packages after the bootstrap.
>
> That's true. Let me know if I can help out.
>
> > I guess your final idea is to have a versioned tarball somewhere for
> > download and not to provide the two binaries within the port?
>
> It'd save the user from going through (some) hassle, see below.

Sorry, I mean a tarball with at least the two big binaries busybox
and cryptsetup in it. With your current solution ever user is forced
to download them with ports -u.

> > Do we really need a binary port at all? It should be possible to
> > create cryptsetup-static in opt/cryptsetup? Is the busybox binary
> > in any kind special for cryptsetup or can we use a new busybox port
> > for that purpose?
>
> It's not that easy to build it statically linked; libdevmapper needs to be
> linked statically for this, too, that's why I provided cryptsetup as a binary.

Not a problem, having a static libdevmapper seem to be a good idea
anyway. I'll commit an updated version of libdevmapper soon.

best regards
Juergen

Juergen Daubert  |  mailto:jue at jue.li
Korb, Germany    |  http://jue.li/crux