[crux-devel] How to speed up CRUX maintenance?

Clemens Koller clemens.ml at gmx.net
Wed Dec 16 21:26:44 UTC 2009

Hello, Victor & Co.

Victor Martinez schrieb:
>> In my point of view, something is missing in the default CRUX way:
>> Feedback to
>> one _central_ place.
>>
> I think the point is to get feedback, doesn't really matter if it's
> centrilzed or not. There are lot of ways to talk with maintainers, email
> adresses, irc and of course the bugtracker.

You are right... it doesn't need to be one place essentially. However, I
think it wouldn't harm to get posted to a list instead of one maintainer
to be able to get wider review.

But giving feedback could be much more simple as it is currently.
If you want to file a bug or update a port, you have to manually
look up the email-address of the maintainer, open some mailer, type some
email, or login to flyspray or open up irc.
Well, I don't even have mail configured on some fileservers...

Why do we need to do so much typing when all necessary information is
already in the Pkgfile?

prt-get --send-update <portname>
could send an updated Pkgfile to the maintainer (or to the list for public review).
There is no intention to take away any responsibility of the maintainers,
it should just give a hint that an update might be possible - and here is the/a
solution.

Git is a great feature for development, but cloning, fetching some branch,
committing, pushing is still too much hand-typing, non-KISS and not suitable
for non-git users.

>> You cannot check all the Pkgfiles in one place. -> :-(
>> You have to check the Pkgfiles manually to find out which
>> version can be preferrably used for an update. -> :-(
>> You have to clone the whole collection if it's using
>> rsync just to be able to find out the version of one port... -> :-(
> You can get the port when using rsync, there is a command in the portdb
> to get only the port instead of getting the entire collection.

mpup sounds very interesting and will at least reduce the mess with
conflicting names in repos in an easy way.

A wish:
$ prt-get depinst mpup

without much browsing, fetching sepen.rsync, pull at all...
Yes, I might be a lazy typer, but I also have to get other work finished.

Regards,

Clemens