[crux-devel] Ship core fonts on the 2.6 iso?

Tilman Sauerbeck tilman at crux.nu
Sun May 10 10:35:05 UTC 2009

Hi,
Juergen and me have begun some preparations for the 2.6 release
(there's a todo list in the wiki at http://crux.nu/Wiki/TODO26).

For our xorg ports, I've removed a couple of ancient modules that aren't
in use anymore. I'm also considering shipping xorg without any core font
packages (ie, drop the following packages from the iso:

xorg-font-adobe-100dpi
xorg-font-adobe-75dpi
xorg-font-alias
xorg-font-bh-100dpi
xorg-font-bh-75dpi
xorg-font-bitstream-100dpi
xorg-font-bitstream-75dpi
xorg-font-bitstream-vera
xorg-font-cursor-misc
xorg-font-misc-misc

A 'fixed' font and cursor fonts are built into libXfont these days, so
-cursor-misc and -misc-misc can safely be removed. IMO shipping
bitstream-vera suffices for the iso -- if users wish to use core fonts
like -bitstream-100dpi they can install those from ports.

Objections?

Thanks,
Tilman