[crux-devel] A proposal for the 'xorg' ports repo

Matt Housh jaeger at morpheus.net
Mon Jun 18 23:56:23 UTC 2012

Greetings, all,

Since Tilman has retired and we've been reapportioning ports to some
extent, I have a proposal for the future of the xorg ports repository.
I'll keep it simple, the proposal is something like this:

My idea is that the 'xorg' repo be adopted by the CRUX core team as far
as maintenance and updates are concerned. Any core team member can make
updates as needed to the repo following 3 simple guidelines:

1) The set of release tarballs at the x.org releases directory [1] is
considered the "base approved" sources for the 'xorg' repository, the
current release being X11R7.7 as indicated at the main x.org page [2].

2) Appropriate updates for xorg-related CVE-IDs (or bugtraq
announcements, etc.) are considered approved after testing that the
updated version doesn't have any obvious build problems or bugs. In this
case it would include a relevant CVE-ID link or the like in the commit
message. We already do this most of the time.

3) Module updates from the xorg-announce mailing list [3] are considered
approved after the same testing as guideline 2.

Of course 2 and 3 will overlap at times as some module updates will
likely occur due to CVE (or bugtraq, etc.) announcements.

While this sounds a bit forced in writing that's really not my intent.
My intent is simply to suggest a way to centralize the 'xorg' repo
effort so that it's not a one-man show anymore. Theoretically this
should allow us to keep on top of the updates pretty quickly when it's
needed. The aforementioned testing obviously isn't a rigorous test of
everything, hopefully upstream is doing that for us. It's just the
normal expected diligence on the part of the port maintainers to make
sure they port they're pushing works.

Thoughts, comments, objections, etc.?

Matt

[1] http://www.x.org/releases/X11R7.7/src/