[crux-devel] prt-get depupdate

Johannes Winkelmann jw at smts.ch
Thu Mar 22 16:13:01 UTC 2012

Hi,

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 3:41 PM, Emmanuel Benisty <benisty.e at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 8:27 PM, Jose V Beneyto <sepen at crux-arm.nu> wrote:
>> I wrote a patch for prt-get that provides a new feature: 'depupdate'.
>> The purpose of this feature is to solve the problem of new deps in the
>> update of a port.
looks good. Nitpick: the output in the end will print a list of
packages which were "updated", where as some were actually newly
installed.

> Definitely very useful. Does it mean we could depsysup too?
The problem here is that this would potentially install dependencies a
user omitted on purpose before, since that's not tracked (in other
words prt-get can't decide whether something is really a new
dependency). I don't know whether users still do this, but it used to
be the case before. That said, if there's both sysup and depsysup I
guess it might be okay.

By the way: I wanted to rewrite the commands to look like this:
  install [--with-deps|--no-deps]
  update [--with-deps|--no-deps]
  sysup [--with-deps|--no-deps]
with corresponding options for prt-get.conf, so a user can choose
whether he/she wants manual control over dependencies or fully
automatic handling, with the option do disable it on a per command
basis. Before introducing both new depupdate and depsysup commands,
I'd suggest considering rewriting the interface to this :).

Best, Johannes
--
Johannes Winkelmann
jw at smts.ch