[crux-devel] prt-get depupdate

Emmanuel Benisty benisty.e at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 16:42:59 UTC 2012

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 11:13 PM, Johannes Winkelmann <jw at smts.ch> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 3:41 PM, Emmanuel Benisty <benisty.e at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 8:27 PM, Jose V Beneyto <sepen at crux-arm.nu> wrote:
>>> I wrote a patch for prt-get that provides a new feature: 'depupdate'.
>>> The purpose of this feature is to solve the problem of new deps in the
>>> update of a port.
> looks good. Nitpick: the output in the end will print a list of
> packages which were "updated", where as some were actually newly
> installed.
>
>> Definitely very useful. Does it mean we could depsysup too?
> The problem here is that this would potentially install dependencies a
> user omitted on purpose before, since that's not tracked (in other
> words prt-get can't decide whether something is really a new
> dependency). I don't know whether users still do this, but it used to
> be the case before. That said, if there's both sysup and depsysup I
> guess it might be okay.

DISCLAIMER: we all use CRUX our own way so what is true for me may be
wrong for you.

When I'm modifying a port to remove a dep I would lock the port to
avoid this kind of things to happen.
In fact, I believe that only depsysup is really useful, depupgrade
means you're already aware of the new dep, you could just
remove/depinst. With depsysup, even if you're not on #crux on did not
follow crux{,-devel}-ml, you're sure you won't miss it.