Two sound card

Alan Mizrahi alan+crux at mizrahi.com.ve
Sat Dec 9 01:20:04 UTC 2006

> I have to sound cards:
>
> 00:0b.0 Multimedia audio controller: Ensoniq ES1370 [AudioPCI]
>
> 00:02.7 Multimedia audio controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS]
> AC'97 Sound Controller (rev a0)
>
> How to force them that one of the all the time be connected to mixer and
> second one to mixer1? (The device name is not so important - I hope :)
>
> In /etc/rc.modules I have:
> modprobe snd_ens1370    #Karta Muzyczna (SB64)
> modprobe snd-intel8x0   #Karta Muzyczna (na płycie)
>
> Right now SiS card is first (Last time was differently). Why?

Hi Wawrzek,

I'm not sure if I understood what you are trying to say, but another option
you might want to explore is to tweak your /etc/asound.conf.

You can refer to your devices by their names instead of their numbers. The
names to be used are in /proc/asound/cards. In my case I have this:

$ cat /proc/asound/cards
 0 [Intel          ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
                      HDA Intel at 0xfdff8000 irq 16
 1 [U0x46d0x8b2    ]: USB-Audio - USB Device 0x46d:0x8b2
                      USB Device 0x46d:0x8b2 at usb-0000:00:1d.0-2, full speed

So my device names are "Intel" and "U0x46d0x8b2" (this is a usb webcam with a
microphone).  In my /etc/asound.conf I use the card keyword with these names
to refer to my devices:

#
# Intel HDA
#