64 bit 32 bit

Joe Gilmour jgilmour at bigpond.net.au
Fri Dec 22 10:19:03 UTC 2006

I've read a bit about 64 vs 32 bit for desktop machines but have been
wondering a bit about it all lately.

My hardware is a core 2 duo which supports 64 bit, nvidia pci-e and 4 Gb
RAM (all about 3 months old).

I'm running up to date CRUX 2.2 32 bit.  I've been using the following
pkgmk.conf
export CFLAGS="-O2 -march=nocona -pipe"
export CXXFLAGS="-O2 -march=nocona -pipe"

And just about everything works fine (some weird firefox hanging problem
but that's another story).

I tried using:
export CFLAGS="-O2 -march=x86-64 -pipe"
export CXXFLAGS="-O2 -march=x86-64 -pipe"

In pkgmk.conf and rebuilt bzip2 to test and it's actually faster (tested
a large file) and it runs.  So I got a bit more adventurous and tried
compiling firefox and thunderbird with x86-64 CFLAGS and they seem to
work too.  Firefox (hanging seems to have stopped but I haven't tested
fully) seems to run faster, rendering pages just seems faster than before.

Has anyone else played with CFLAGS and 64 bit options?

Because I'm using a 32 bit toolchain does it just ignore the x86-64
CFLAGS and resort to basic cpu flags?  If so why would they be faster
than nocona?

Any thoughts?  Ideally I'd like to run a pure 64 bit system but I'm not
really that fussed.

Thanks,

Joe