mouse does not work in X

Joe Gilmour jgilmour at bigpond.net.au
Sat Dec 23 05:54:08 UTC 2006

arnuld wrote:
>> Yes, compile in mouse support and make sure you choose PS/2 mouse
>> support in the sub menu.  Also you'll want the event interface (in the
>> same section as mouse support).
>

>> make sure you're pointing to an existing device.  (e.g. make sure
>> /dev/input/mice exists)
The next things I'd check are:

If the mouse is USB is usb enabled in kernel?

In the xorg.conf do you have the mouse device in the ServerLayout section?

In the InputDevice section of xorg.conf have you got the right
"Protocol"? I think you can use "auto" for this.

What is in the /var/log/Xorg.0.log say are there any EE lines there?

I'm sure you've checked some of things but can't hurt to double check.

Joe