mouse does not work in X

arnuld arnuld3 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 23 13:53:43 UTC 2006

> What is happening to you has happened to me a lot.
> First thing is that it is probable that /dev/input/mice has nothing to
> do with anything.  I have that too and it is not used. Even more fun
> is that with modern kernels and xorg, not even a really modern xorg,
> you dont need a file
> xorg.conf. My Xorg.0.log says
> (==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
> but it is == a default setting I removed the xorg.conf file. It seems
> to do a lot better without it and it saves a lot of effort making it.

> The really important thing is to make sure that you have the correct
> driver in your kernel and if a module that it is loaded. includng the
> event stuff. All the kernel Input items especially the mouse items.

i did "lsmod" and it ouputs nothing :-( even i have to do "modprobe
via-rhine" to make my "eth0" work. what could be the name of the
"mouse module".  i have Logitech PS/2 mouse running on ASUS K8V-MX
motherboard?

> your lines in Xorg.o.log(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device
> "Mouse0" (type: MOUSE)
> (--) Mouse0: PnP-detected protocol: "ExplorerPS/2"
> (II) Mouse0: ps2EnableDataReporting: succeeded
> look pretty good.

they look pretyy good but they do no good :-( becuase whatever the LOG
says is not solving my problem.

-- arnuld
http://arnuld.blogspot.com/