Packages for kernel drivers

Alan Mizrahi alan-crux at mizrahi.com.ve
Sat Jul 1 19:21:58 UTC 2006

Hi there,

As most of you, when I update my kernel version I keep the old one for some
time, just in case something goes wrong.

The problem is that lately things have gone wrong too often, and switching
kernel versions isn't as easy as it should be if you are using outside kernel
drivers installed through crux packages.

For example, if you are using the nvidia driver, you can't have it installed
in /lib/modules/linux-2.6.16 and /lib/modules/linux-2.6.17 at the same time,
because when pkgadd updates the package it removes it from the old kernel
tree.

If it were just one package to rebuild each time, I wouldn't care, but in my
case I am using 4 packages with kernel drivers: nvidia, truecrypt, em8300 and
lirc.

One way to solve this problem would be adding some code into pkgadd so that it
never deletes files in /lib/modules/<kernel-version> when updating packages.

Another idea would be to add a new rule tag to pkgadd.conf to let you define
which directories should be treated this way (but I don't find any
usefullness for this other than the kernel drivers).

Maybe the whole idea of using packages for kernel drivers is not good, what do
you think?

Regards,

Alan