Packages for kernel drivers

Ryan B. Lynch rlynch at bway.net
Sat Jul 1 21:15:55 UTC 2006

Alan,

Although this is really far outside what you're supposed to do with
pkgmk, I used a slightly different solution to address these kinds of
problems.  Originally, it was a method to have multiple kernel
builds/versions installed at the same time, and I've also started using
it to support multiple versions of extra-kernel driver packages.

The basic idea is that instead of having a single port, and incrementing
the version number to reflect the actual version of the extra-kernel
package, you have a different port (and hence a different package) for
each version.  Here's an example of the kernel package I use:

    package name:  "kernel-2.6.16.18-tux_squashfs_citiall2-i386"
    package version: "2"

The name of the package is just "kernel-" suffixed with the kernel
release version (the "real" version), a text string specifiying which
patches I'm using, and the arch.  The "2" version means that it's the
2nd version I built (I didn't like the original config options, or
something like that).  When I want to add a 2.6.17 kernel, the name becomes:

    package name:  "kernel-2.6.17-tux_squashfs_citiall2-i386"
    package version: "1"

As long as you're careful in the Pkgfile to make sure that no two kernel
packages stomp on each others' files, everything works pretty well.
This should work the same way for any extra-kernel packages that you
want to build.

There are weaknesses in this approach:  the package names get kind of
long and unwieldy, and the package version number has no relationship to
the actual software version number, so I wouldn't recommend using it for
any packages in the standard ports collections.  You wouldn't be able to
use prt-get or pkginfo to determine whether a new version of the package
exists, you'd have to look for yourself at the ports tree.  But these
are because of the way Crux's package management system works.  I don't
think that you could have a more sophisticated solution without making
Crux package management a lot more complex.

If anyone is curious, I could post some Pkgfile examples.

-Ryan