64 bit

Mikhail Kolesnik mike at openbunker.org
Tue Jul 4 09:18:12 UTC 2006

Hello, Ryan.

On Tue, 04 Jul 2006 07:47:34 +0000
"Ryan B. Lynch" <rlynch at bway.net> wrote:

> The standard i686 Crux ISO or the i586 ISO should work fine on a 64-bit
> machine.  You won't be taking advantage of the additional capabilities,
> but it will work.  I can't really speculate on the benefits to be gained
> from actually using software compiled on an amd64 toolchain, but I have
> been told that certain apps, like databases, benefit more than others.

Till now we had a few poorly loaded amd64-capable machines (mail,
web-ftp, NAT, DVB), but now we are looking for a dedicated db server.
Seems there would be some real benefit using native 64-bit x86 binaries
in this case. So, looking at discontinued crux64 is kinda sad...

I would like to test some early attempts to create official crux
amd64/em64t port if there would be any...

--
Mikhail Kolesnik
ICQ: 260259143
Jabber: mike_k at jabber.lafox.net