bianual releases

Han Boetes han at mijncomputer.nl
Thu Jul 20 23:10:18 UTC 2006

Diederick de Vries wrote:
> Me, as an average user, I dread every single release. It
> involves work because things apparently needed to change. They
> are effectively an interruption of what is otherwise a very nice
> system.

If you have crux installed and keep tracking the updates regularly
it should be a mild transition.

And the longer you postpone upgrades the harder it will be to fix
changes. So regular upgrades keep the admin task doable.

And I dread for the servers which were installed long ago and
never updated, with the admin attitude of `don't fix it if it
ain't broken,' which is a sure recipe for trouble.

> I would hope that everything that changes is done as much as
> possible using the normal and elegant Crux mechanisms (prt-get
> update) and that new releases are only done when absolutely
> necessary, even though they may look nice on osnews and
> distrowatch.

If install crux and then have to rebuild every package that's
installed you'll also not be happy.

regular releases are better for installers so they are quite up to
date to start with. And for people who keep tracking updates they
are not necessary, all they have to do is change the release tag
and rebuild some ports and run rejmerge.

# Han
--
http://www.xs4all.nl/~hanb/software/crux/