bianual releases

Mikhail Kolesnik mike at openbunker.org
Fri Jul 21 07:34:25 UTC 2006

Hello, Han.

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 01:10:18 +0200
Han Boetes <han at mijncomputer.nl> wrote:

> Diederick de Vries wrote:
> > Me, as an average user, I dread every single release. It
> > involves work because things apparently needed to change. They
> > are effectively an interruption of what is otherwise a very nice
> > system.
>
> If you have crux installed and keep tracking the updates regularly
> it should be a mild transition.
>
> And the longer you postpone upgrades the harder it will be to fix
> changes. So regular upgrades keep the admin task doable.
Sure.

> regular releases are better for installers so they are quite up to
> date to start with. And for people who keep tracking updates they
> are not necessary, all they have to do is change the release tag
> and rebuild some ports and run rejmerge.
Once again something inside tells me it's a way towards some troubles
after 2-3 such updates. Double rebuild of the whole system in chrooted
environment sounds like an overkill, but what is the safe and sane way?

Such way a crux-current would be even nicer and simpler to follow, but
not shure how toolchain changes are implemented, for example, in
OpenBSD-current.

Also, they are kernel developers too, while crux only implements
userspace. There are ~80 active developers working on OpenBSD and very
few here. So the cycle period is not a trivial thing to choose.

--
Mikhail Kolesnik
ICQ: 260259143
Jabber: mike_k at jabber.lafox.net