Problems installing with USB CDROM

Bernd Eggink monoped at arcor.de
Sun Jul 23 19:46:53 UTC 2006

I'm trying to install Crux on an IBM Thinkpad. This notebook has a USB
CDROM and no floppy drive. The Crux CD-ROM boots, but the kernel
apparently doesn't support USB and therefore can't see the CDROM drive
afterwards.

What I did so far is:

1. Build a kernel with compiled-in USB (-CDROM) support.
2. Make a bootable CDROM (using mkbootfloppy), consisting of the
original Crux CDROM, with the kernel replaced by the new one.

Now I would expect the boot parameters "root=/dev/sr0" or
"root=/dev/scd0" to work, but I still get the message "Cannot open root
device XXX" and a kernel panic. Something appears to be missing. Can
anybody help?

Regards,
Bernd

--