Problems installing with USB CDROM

Bernd Eggink monoped at arcor.de
Mon Jul 24 07:30:29 UTC 2006

Oleksiy V. Khilkevich schrieb:
> Originally Bernd Eggink wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to install Crux on an IBM Thinkpad. This notebook has a USB
>> CDROM and no floppy drive. The Crux CD-ROM boots, but the kernel
>> apparently doesn't support USB and therefore can't see the CDROM drive
>> afterwards.
> As far as i know, CRUX boot cd supports USB. I successfully use my
> packages from USN hdd during installation.

You're right - somehow. As a workaround, I created a harddisk partition
hda4, copied the Crux CDROM to it (using Knoppix), and booted with
root=/dev/hda4. I can see now that _after_ the system has come up,
/dev/sr0 is present and can be mounted. But at the boot prompt /dev/sr0
doesn't work.
Maybe this harware is a bit exotic. Of several other distros I tried,
only SUSE and Debian were able to cope with the USB CDROM. Nevertheless,
I'd put a somewhat more flexible installer on the wish list...

Bernd