a little bit outdated networking stuff

Mikhail Kolesnik mike at openbunker.org
Mon Jul 24 07:56:23 UTC 2006

Hello, Johannes.

On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 08:15:56 +0200
Johannes Winkelmann <jw at smts.ch> wrote:

> Hi Mike,
>
> On Sun, Jul 23, 2006 at 21:32:06 +0300, Mikhail Kolesnik wrote:
> [iana-etc, iputils]
>
> Thanks for the suggestions, both make sense IMO. I've added it to the
> todo list for 2.3, along with the iproute2 evaluation
>
> Regards, Johannes

Thanks for that and especially for iproute2.

At the time I am 'playing' with ipsec-tools[1] (port of KAME's
implementation). So far looks well, but have to try automatic key
exchange and cooperation with other OS's.

There are already some very useful advanced tools in contrib:
bridge-utils, quagga(zebra). It would be nice to have ebtables[2] also.
Quagga, a routing daemon collection, needs some good rc.d scripts and
testing.

Unfortunately, not many crux users (at the moment) have an ability to
test all that in heterogeneous environment. That doesn't mean nobody
would use such tools if they were available in 'opt'. So, if someone is
interested, lets make good & tested_in_real_env ports for contrib and
some day we'll see advanced networking tools in opt. Hope it is not in
conflict with KISS.

[1] http://ipsec-tools.sourceforge.net/
[2] http://ebtables.sourceforge.net/

--