bianual releases

Jesse Kokkarinen jesse.kokkarinen at kapsi.fi
Wed Jul 26 13:52:55 UTC 2006

On Thu, Jul 20, 2006 at 11:37:59PM +0200, Simone Rota wrote:
> Han Boetes wrote:
> > The OpenBSD project introduced bianual releases with great succes.
> > Since Crux is also a very evolutionary project using a binanual
> > release cycle would be pretty easy.
> >
> > And I bet you can all come up with other advantages.  The only
> > disadvantage is that we've got to together more often and decide
> > what to for the next cycle apart from updates and then insert a
> > month of freezetime.
> >
> > What do you think?
>
> I'm all for a more defined release policy, and I think knowing the
> approx. date of the next release would help us keeping things
> more organized.

I think it would be a good thing to introduce a clearly defined release
schedule. Having one would allow prioritizing new features while evaluating
how well potential changes would fit in with the KISS philosophy.

I realize the time constraint for CRUX because this is not a big project
compared to other Linux distributions, however I find it more organized if
releases have a schedule.

Just a thought on the topic. :)

--
"Damnant quod non intellegunt."