Pet Peeve - Damaging Other people's work deliberately

Clare Johnstone claregj at gmail.com
Thu Mar 9 11:12:04 UTC 2006

Dear all,
I have just had occasion to install the Statisitical  Package "R",
and was actually a bit disturbed to find that the License file had been removed.
Together with some others of the files provided by the Package Authors to
assist the user. Including of all things the names of the Authors.

I do not believe that we have a duty to maintain this particular manifestation
of the KISS principle. I regard it as vandalism on our part, and in
the matter of
the licence probably putting ourselves in breach of it.

Whereas there may be a good reason to minimise the documentation provided with
some utiities ( even though I disagree with that), when it comes to
serious work type
projects I think that policy should be given a serious rethink for
every package, and
in general, for the whole distro, It is crippling it. AND it is a lot
of extra work to have
to fix each Pkgfile to get the product in the form its authors intended.

I have said this before, and will probably say it again. I just hope
someone is listening.

Clare Johnstone,
Western Australia.