Pet Peeve - Damaging Other people's work deliberately

Robert Bauck Hamar roberth at ifi.uio.no
Thu Mar 9 14:00:57 UTC 2006

*Mark Rosenstand:
| On 3/9/06, Clare Johnstone <claregj at gmail.com> wrote:
| > Whereas there may be a good reason to minimise the documentation provided with
| > some utiities ( even though I disagree with that), when it comes to
| > serious work type
| > projects I think that policy should be given a serious rethink for
| > every package, and
| > in general, for the whole distro, It is crippling it. AND it is a lot
| > of extra work to have
| > to fix each Pkgfile to get the product in the form its authors intended.
| >
| > I have said this before, and will probably say it again. I just hope
| > someone is listening.
|
| One of the principles of design in CRUX is to remove junk files. Files
| that you'll only (if ever) read once are, IMO, junk. Since CRUX is
| source based, you already have a local copy of the source in case you
| want the license info.

I recently installed some KDE programs, and I was a little bit annoyed
when the help functions in the programs didn't work because the help
files were missing.  Of course, I can just remove the «rm helpfiles»
line from the Pkgfile, but I don't believe this was the intention of
removing junk files.

I have also used other systems, where there often is an overfilled
/usr/share/doc directory, or something like that.  This dir often has
manuals in PDF or some other format.  These manuals can usually be
retrieved from the Internet when needed.  Info is also a format I really
hate to deal with, and projecs providing info manuals, usually has it on
the Internet as HTML files.  I agree with Per that man pages should be
kept, because they let you find useful information fast, and because
they are standard on *nices.

Files that programs use when they run, on the other hand, are not junk,
but an unmanageable forest of manuals in different formats is.
--
Robert Bauck Hamar