GCC 4.1 for 2.2?

Johannes Winkelmann jw at tks6.net
Sat Mar 11 11:35:19 UTC 2006

Hi Mark,

On Fri, Mar 03, 2006 at 10:02:11 +0100, Mark Rosenstand wrote:
> FWIW, I have succesfully rebuilt (almost) all of my packages with GCC
> 4.1. They're from the 2.2 branch, revision 861. All were up-to-date
> before building, and the toolchain were first rebuilt two times, just
> to be sure.
[...]
> Of course 4.0 is safer given its life time - this is just to report my
> experience with 4.1 so far, which is much better than I expected to.

Thanks for your report (slim is fixed in svn :-)). I'm kinda reluctant
to ship/use a .0 gcc unless one of our maintainers is (or wants to
start) following the gcc development closely (or is using 4.1 at work
for example) and is able to add patches where needed (4.0.2 has
currently 109 bugs reported, 4.1.0 has 628).

However, from your report (and the ChangeLog for 4.1) updating between
releases sounds quite feasible, so if we manage to get out 2.2 soon, I'd
prefer to keep 4.0.x, and update to 4.1.1 or 4.1.2 through ports once
they're available.

Best regards,
Johannes
Johannes Winkelmann              mailto:jw at tks6.net