perl module packages

Danny d.rawlins at datafast.net.au
Tue Mar 14 11:00:41 UTC 2006

Martin Nordin wrote:
> Hi guys.
>
> I've got some perl conundrums I'd like to discuss with you.
>
> I'm trying to get the Swedish xmltv grabber to work. However I'm not
> familiar at all with perl and I've noticed some strange things.
>
> I just updated perl to 5.8.7 which causes all p5-pkgs to break as they
> want to install thiere files under /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6/ and
> perl or make or whatever causes them to be in 5.8.7 instead.
>
> Should version numbers be in the installation paths like this?

Python does the same python2.4 just create a symlink as 'python' and in
your case create a symlink as

/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6

site_perl would be the best symlink though not sure how perl works here.

> Can/should it be changed to /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl or something
> instead? Isn't enough to separate the main perl releases like perl5
> vs. perl6?

re: above
> Is the changes in the minor perl releases large enough so one should
> update/rebuild all p5- packages?

read the changelog of perl?
> Also, during my attempts to get xmltv working I've run into a
> seemingly endless string of new perl modules I have to create ports
> for in order to get the thing to install. Is it the right approach to
> create a new port for each perl module needed, or should I do one
> xmltv_se port which builds all perl modules needed?

the crux site states to create 1 port for each needed module/program
then add the depends on: perl,module1,module2

> Regards,
> Martin

This answers some of the questions.