current events in CRUX's KDE

Nick Steeves nick.steeves at shaw.ca
Tue Mar 14 12:37:08 UTC 2006

Hello,

There are a few things which I've been working on, or thinking about, in the
hopes of making CRUX's KDE implementation better.

1. http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=crux&m=114198584022117&w=2

2. get some sort of inotify support.  Currently, I'm testing the inotify via
gamin solution.  At some point, I'm going to see if ./configure
--enable-inotify, for kdelibs, provides the same functionality with less
overhead/complexity; I will talk to some KDE developers about the merits of
each approach.  If anyone wants to quickly add inotify support to their
current KDE installation, and already has libfam or gamin installed, then
he/she has merely to do the following:

	a) make sure you're running an up-to-date kernel (at least 2.6.14.6, IMHO)
	b) either copy your /usr/src/linux/include/linux/inotify.h to
		/usr/include/linux/inotify.h, or else use the 2.6.15.4 version found
		in ports/sten/glibc/inotify.h, if you subscribe to my repo.
		Alternatively you can install ports/sten/inotify-utils.
	c) prt-get remove libfam
	d) prt-get install -fr gamin  OR  prt-get remove -fr gamin
	e) killall /usr/sbin/gam_server
	f) otherwise, you'll need to rebuild everything kdelibs down, to enable
		inotify, and to let apps run without libfam...

2.5 Gamin has issues with KDE:
(http://lists.kde.org/?l=kfm-devel&m=114209917111095&w=2).  From a discussion
on kde-packager, I've learned that all applications that use KDirWatch can
use inotify through kdelibs.  Kat is the sole exception.  The kdelibs
--enable-inotify approach is said to be a cleaner, more robust solution than
Gamin + KDE.

3. Prelink.  Many of the "big" distributions have it, and it apparently speeds
up KDE quite a bit (I didn't notice anything mind boggling, but it's a nice
speed up..maybe 20-40%).  I finally got it to work with libelf, instead of
elfutils.  If anyone is interested, please test it, and email me with your
prelink experiences.  Until this latest attempt, mine had never been
altogether successful, but prelink has worked great for me for the last few
weeks.

4. What would you like to see in, or out of, CRUX's KDE?

Cheers,
Nick