current events in CRUX's KDE

Mark Rosenstand mark at borkware.net
Tue Mar 14 18:41:19 UTC 2006

Hi Nick,

Let me start with showing my great appreciation for involving the
list/users in this :-)

On Tuesday 14 March 2006 13:37, Nick Steeves wrote:
> Hello,
>
> There are a few things which I've been working on, or thinking about,
> in the hopes of making CRUX's KDE implementation better.
>
> 1. http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=crux&m=114198584022117&w=2

About that: I started removing the doc stripping from my own KDE
packages. I quickly discovered that it will add some complexity because
we still should strip all the non-en subdirectories. Anybody got a cool
way to accomplish that?

I'm thinking about asking upstream to support linking to online
documentation in some way, perhaps as a compile-time option that will
also disable the documetation generation.

> 2. get some sort of inotify support.  Currently, I'm testing the
> inotify via gamin solution.  At some point, I'm going to see if
> ./configure --enable-inotify, for kdelibs, provides the same
> functionality with less overhead/complexity; I will talk to some KDE
> developers about the merits of each approach.

KDE + gamin has proven rock solid here ever since gamin was imported
into opt. I haven't had to restart gam_server a single time. Let's see
how the native solution works.

> If anyone wants to quickly add inotify support to their current KDE
> installation, and already has libfam or gamin installed, then he/she
> has merely to do the following:
>
> 	a) make sure you're running an up-to-date kernel (at least 2.6.14.6,
> IMHO) b) either copy your /usr/src/linux/include/linux/inotify.h to
> /usr/include/linux/inotify.h, or else use the 2.6.15.4 version found
> in ports/sten/glibc/inotify.h, if you subscribe to my repo.

inotify.h is already in linux-libc-headers 2.6.12.0 which is part of
glibc from the 2.2 branch :-)