CRUX naming

Johannes Winkelmann jw at tks6.net
Tue Mar 14 18:48:07 UTC 2006

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 14, 2006 at 11:52:23 +0200, Oleksiy V. Khilkevich wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 10:56:50 +0200, Mark Rosenstand wrote:
>
> Hello, Mark!
>
> IMO, the distro can be called CRUX, but anyway it is still GNU/Linux
[...]
> Basically for me, I agree with Stallman and call distro either CRUX or
> CRUX GNU/Linux where acceptable.
We had that discussion here before, and after it everyone still had the
same opinion, so please let's not repeat it again (or if you must,
please do it elsewhere).

Howver, here's a historical note for those interested:

If you go back to this discussion you'll see that some prominent
current and former developers of CRUX disagree with calling it
GNU/Linux, 'GNU/Linux distribution' or even 'CRUX GNU/Linux' (me
included). Rather, they prefer 'CRUX', and 'CRUX' is a 'linux
distribution', since it reflects our perception of free software as used
in the CRUX project better.

However, everyone I talked to very much respects the freedom of speech
and freedom and thought of others, and we in no way mean to force any
opinion on you. If you prefer calling it GNU/Linux, please feel free to
continue doing so; I hope those who disagree with our choice value our
freedoms just as much.

Best regards, Johannes
Johannes Winkelmann              mailto:jw at tks6.net
Zurich, Switzerland              http://jw.tks6.net