current events in CRUX's KDE

Mark Rosenstand mark at borkware.net
Wed Mar 15 08:23:46 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 14 March 2006 19:41, Mark Rosenstand wrote:
> I'm thinking about asking upstream to support linking to online
> documentation in some way, perhaps as a compile-time option that will
> also disable the documetation generation.

Or perhaps Nick would be willing to do it, as they probably take a
packager's request a little more seriously and he'd probably be better
at explaining the situation? :-)

> > 2. get some sort of inotify support.  Currently, I'm testing the
> > inotify via gamin solution.  At some point, I'm going to see if
> > ./configure --enable-inotify, for kdelibs, provides the same
> > functionality with less overhead/complexity; I will talk to some
> > KDE developers about the merits of each approach.
>
> KDE + gamin has proven rock solid here ever since gamin was imported
> into opt. I haven't had to restart gam_server a single time. Let's
> see how the native solution works.

It seems a little slower (i.e. opening a directory in konqueror and
touch/rm'ing a file will take ~500 ms for konqueror to reflect the
change) but pretty solid. I think it's a worthy sacrifice in order to
get rid of an additional package and process, so thumbs up for enabling
it :-)

Nick, do you know what happens if libfam is available and kdelibs itself
is inotify-enabled? Which will take precedence?