Testers needed for KDE 3.5.5 ports

Alan Mizrahi alan+crux at mizrahi.com.ve
Fri Nov 3 14:14:35 UTC 2006

On Thursday 02 November 2006 8:10 pm, Anton Vorontsov wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 02, 2006 at 07:09:28PM +0100, Mark Rosenstand wrote:
> > On Thu, 2006-11-02 at 10:15 -0400, Alan Mizrahi wrote:
> > > - I have added shortcuts for searching in crux ports and youtube videos
> > > on konqueror
> >
> > I hope I'm not alone in being a bit disappointed about this.
>
> You're not alone.
>
> > One of the
> > things that attracts me about CRUX is the fact that packages are mostly
> > vanilla. I'd hate to see the KDE packages follow a different path as
> > there's plenty of distros who push their ugly artwork and useless
> > bookmarks down your throat.
>
> Signing off under each word. Also...

I'll remove the custom search shortcuts.

> Alan, is sudo, gpg, libidn, openldap, imlib, freeglut, gamin really
> necessary for that version of kdelibs? The same question about samba,
> ghostscript, cdparanoia, lame for the kdebase.
>
> I'm using kde 3.5.3 without that bloat.

I agree, but I didn't want to be so aggressive removing dependencies because
it seemed like everybody was fine with them before I inherited the KDE
responsibility.

In fact, I removed tetex (HUGE download and build time) and esound from the
dependency list because of this, but I'll go a bit further before making this
release.

Its a matter of balance: for some people cups and openldap are a real
necessity and for others its bloat.  Some people might think that if you are
already using KDE you already like bloated software :)

I've always thought we should have some kind of polls on the website to help
the packagers decide this kind of things, maybe even a casual
poll-of-the-week could help.

> May it moved to "Nice to have:" ?

Yes, I'll move some dependencies to "Nice to have", but I think this header is
only human-parseable.  Maybe prt-get should accept a --full parameter to
install also the "Nice to have" dependencies.

> Beside these issues, thanks for your work! Hope kde will return to
> the contrib soon.

Thanks.

--
Alan Mizrahi