Testers needed for KDE 3.5.5 ports

Alan Mizrahi alan+crux at mizrahi.com.ve
Fri Nov 3 18:51:52 UTC 2006

On Friday 03 November 2006 1:56 pm, Han Boetes wrote:
> Alan Mizrahi wrote:
> > On Thursday 02 November 2006 8:10 pm, Anton Vorontsov wrote:
> > > Alan, is sudo, gpg, libidn, openldap, imlib, freeglut, gamin
> > > really necessary for that version of kdelibs? The same
> > > question about samba, ghostscript, cdparanoia, lame for the
> > > kdebase.
> > >
> > > I'm using kde 3.5.3 without that bloat.
> >
> > I agree, but I didn't want to be so aggressive removing
> > dependencies because it seemed like everybody was fine with them
> > before I inherited the KDE responsibility.
> >
> > In fact, I removed tetex (HUGE download and build time) and
> > esound from the dependency list because of this, but I'll go a
> > bit further before making this release.
> >
> > Its a matter of balance: for some people cups and openldap are a
> > real necessity and for others its bloat.  Some people might
> > think that if you are already using KDE you already like bloated
> > software :)
>
> It's not a matter of balance. kde doesn't need openldap and cups
> to build. But if you have ldap and cups installed before you build
> kde you will get support for it.
>
> On the other hand if you want to use prt-get depinstall kde you
> will install stuff you don't want to have and you don't need, so
> you have to manually compile the package which names the
> dependencies.

By the way, you can always use prt-get's --ignore option to prevent building
unwanted dependencies:

prt-get depinst --ignore=cups,openldap kdelibs

Don't worry about the dependencies, I'll trim them a little. I am going to
work on this over the weekend.

> In my opinion it would be nice if prt-get would ask if you want to
> install "Nice to have:" dependencies if he finds them. And to
> avoid questioning you can set an option to automatically say yes
> or no.

Yes, and also some functionality to be able to specify in the config file
dependencies which should never be installed by the depinst command.

--
Alan Mizrahi