ports/opt (2.2): [notify] iproute2: updated to 2.6.18-061002, changed sbin location

Mark Rosenstand mark at borkware.net
Tue Nov 14 22:11:45 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-11-14 at 19:37 +0100, Tilman Sauerbeck wrote:
> That is, it would be moved in the "2.3" branches of core.git and
> opt.git. No need to do that change in the 2.2 branches.

Speaking of which, is there a schedule for branching 2.3, let alone
start developing it?

Also, in the future, would it be better to branch at the time of
release, instead of 9 months later? E.g. development would happen in
HEAD and 2.3 would be branched when the ISO is made available. This
would make the "I just want a stable distro" guys happy while allowing
more experiments during (and give more time for) development.

The 2.1 -> 2.2 and 2.2 -> 2.3 cycle have been mostly like this:

branch -> (3 months) major core updates -> release -> (9 months) version
bumps

Proposed cycle would be:

(12 months) development -> branch -> security fixes

This is how most projects do their release cycles and my guess is that
CRUX did it in the previous style because Per developed privately,
released and then committed updates till the next one was ready.