default dirnames in /etc/pkgmk.conf

Brett Goulder predatorfreak at dcaf-security.org
Thu Nov 16 05:37:03 UTC 2006

On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 05:41:29 +0300
Anton Vorontsov wrote:

> Hi Han!
>
> On Thu, Nov 16, 2006 at 02:03:50AM +0059, Han Boetes wrote:
> > Simon Gloъner wrote:
> > > I disagree. We shouldn't add default configure args or even
> > > default "delete macros". In the worst case this is doing things
> > > with some ports which we don't want.
> >
> > You let your imagination run wild.
> >

> > > Right now it's perfect in my opinion. If you want to change the
> > > prefix to /usr, add it to the Pkgfile. If you want to delete
> > > some junk files, add the commands to the Pkgfile. That's simple
> > > and secure and come on it's not much more work...
> >
> > Are you a port maintainer? I mean, a real one? Ever seen the
> > output of prtverify?
>
> Though I'm not Simon.. and I'm not [public] port maintainer, but I
> do not like that idea. Sorry, Han. :-( Though, I'm myself using some
> additional variables defined in pkgmk's configuration file for the my
> cross compilation toolchain (e.g. CROSS_ROOT, CROSS_HOST, CROSS_TARGET
> variables), but I do this because there is no another way to do it
> better, and I do realize that this is [inevitable necessary] hacks.
> Further more, I do it in another file and calling pkgmk with -cf
> option pointing to it.
>
> > The macros do not disable using a port in the normal way at
> > all. They just make it easier to make standard ports right.
>
> Han, you're best sed/awk/bash wizard I've ever saw, isn't using these
> tools won't help supporting your ports collection? Is *dir variables
> and Configure macros are really inevitable necessary hacks for you?

Personally, I think duplicating a few basic configure options between
ports is hack-worthy. Gentoo do something similar to this with econf,
although admittedly their implementation is far larger. I think this is
something CRUX needs to do, as it really would make writing Pkgfile's
less tedious and reduce the amount of time required to produce one.

--
~predatorfreak
GnuPG Public key: http://pred.dcaf-security.org/dcafsec-pub-gpgkey.asc