SATA drives not recognized

Clemens Koller clemens.koller at anagramm.de
Mon Oct 2 09:30:19 UTC 2006

Hi, Theo

Theo Kanter wrote:
> Kernel 2.6.17.3 does not properly load the IDE disks that are attached to
> an onboard raid-controller Promise PDC200378 (aka Fastrak 378 or Fastrak

I guess you mean PDC20378?
That controller is supported by the latest 2.6.17.x+ Kernels.

> S150 TX4) which resides on an MSI 865PE-NEO FISR2 motherboard as a "south
> bridge" for a maximum of two IDE disks and two SATA disks.

what does lspci [-v[v]] say?

> I configured
> the BIOS for two IDE disks and RAID1, but the same thing happens when I
> configure this as SATA.

Notice that there might be a difference if you let the Controller's
BIOS do the RAID or the Linux driver's.

> These errors seen in the dmesg file as error
> messages (attached):
>
>  ata1: SATA link down (SStatus 0)
>  scsi0 : sata_nv
>  ata2: SATA link down (SStatus 0)
>  scsi1 : sata_nv

That's from the sata_nv driver, which is not the Promise one.
It says that there is no signal on the SATA physical connection
(no harddrive) on that controller's port.

Check, where you really connected your harddisks. :-)

> The motherboard BIOS and Promise BIOS think everything is just fine.
> Perhaps I am lacking the correct drivers but the ones on
> http://www.promise.com/support/download/download2_eng.asp?productId=108&category=driver&os=4&go=GO#

You don't need that to get it started.

The driver is part of the SCSI subsystem and is called sata_promise.c
As of linux-2.6.17.11 it supports the
Promise 2037x, 20319, 20619, 20771, 2057x, 40518 chips.

The config is called SCSI_SATA_PROMISE

> aren't much help. There are also some old versions for redhat, suse, and
> mandrake, which aren't exactly what I need:

Forget those.

Check if you are fine with the right kernel drivers.
There are/were rumors that the raid functionality might be faster with
the native promise drivers. So if really needed, you can later give the
promise one a try. But first make sure the one-in-kernel-tree works.

> So my questions are:
> a) is this a driver problem or did I miss something in .config (attached).

I guess so. You enabled almost all and everything... maybe you only want
to enable the stuff you really have.

> b) if so, are there any other available drivers that can be used on Crux
> 2.2?

You can use whatever driver you want, if you have the source code.

> c) if not, can I adapt the ones above?

It should just work.

> d) or else, should I go for some other piece of hardware (e.g. an
> ITE8212f)?

As long as your current one isn't broken it shouldn't be necessary.

Best greets,

Clemens Koller
R&D Imaging Devices
Anagramm GmbH