SATA drives not recognized

Theo Kanter kanter at kth.se
Mon Oct 2 14:17:02 UTC 2006

Hi Clemens,

Clemens Koller wrote:
> I guess you mean PDC20378?
> That controller is supported by the latest 2.6.17.x+ Kernels.
Yes, I means the PDC20378. I have tried both 2.6.17.3 and 2.6.18 so far.
> what does lspci [-v[v]] say?
Attached. lspci -v reports a:
03:09.0 RAID bus controller: Promise Technology, Inc. PDC20378 (FastTrak
378/SATA 378) (rev 02)
        Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. Unknown device 728f
        Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 96, IRQ 11
        I/O ports at c800 [size=64]
        I/O ports at c400 [size=16]
        I/O ports at c000 [size=128]
        Memory at f7edf000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
        Memory at f7ea0000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=128K]

> Notice that there might be a difference if you let the Controller's
> BIOS do the RAID or the Linux driver's.
Agreed.
> That's from the sata_nv driver, which is not the Promise one.
> It says that there is no signal on the SATA physical connection
> (no harddrive) on that controller's port.
Of course you are right. I should have seen that.
> Check, where you really connected your harddisks. :-)
Good one. Both disks (ST3160023A IDE disks) are connected via an 80-lead
IDE flat cable as master/slave to IDE3 on the motherboard The PDC20378
controls IDE3 as well as the two SATA connectors next to it according to
all the info from MSI.
> The driver is part of the SCSI subsystem and is called sata_promise.c
> As of linux-2.6.17.11 it supports the
> Promise 2037x, 20319, 20619, 20771, 2057x, 40518 chips.
>
> The config is called SCSI_SATA_PROMISE
Yes, I enabled this in .config with SCSI_SATA_PROMISE=y but no luck yet.
I will try different settings in the BIOS of both the motherboard and
the PDC20378.
> Check if you are fine with the right kernel drivers.
> There are/were rumors that the raid functionality might be faster with
> the native promise drivers. So if really needed, you can later give the
> promise one a try. But first make sure the one-in-kernel-tree works.
Agreed.
> I guess so. You enabled almost all and everything... maybe you only want
> to enable the stuff you really have.
Considering the fact that I enabled sata_promise I am puzzled by the
fact that it does not show up. Good idea. Will do. Perhaps I should
disable sata_nv to begin with...

Thanks Clemens for your input.

--theo