Back to CRUX

Johannes Winkelmann jw at smts.ch
Thu Oct 5 11:33:54 UTC 2006

Hi Anselm,

On Thu, Oct 05, 2006 at 13:04:49 +0200, Anselm R. Garbe wrote:
> Hi everybody,
[...]
> Because of the fact that things didn't changed drastically, I
> ask, if there has been any development regarding to share
> packages?
Not recently. There has been the ports DB which lists numerous ports
repositories, and there's a new 'contrib' collection which collects
ports from experienced users:
  http://crux.nu/Main/ContribRules
depending on when you used CRUX for the last time one or the other may
be new to you.

Also, pretty much everything behind the sense change change, certain
things even drastically (Per left the team, new server, CLC merged into
main project, cvsup dropped as ports backend etc.).

> Another thing which I (still) dislike a little bit are the
> inconsistent naming conventions of the few utilities managing
> the ports and packages. There is ports, prt-* and pkg*.
Tools handling just packages are named pkg*, i.e. pkgmk, pkgadd, pkgrm,
pkginfo. Those tools have no notion of a ports tree or the distribution
method, i.e. pkgmk but knows just Pkgfiles.

prt*, i.e. prt-get or prt-utils, use the ports tree heavily. At the same
time, prt-get itself doesn't build any packages but rather calls _pkg_mk
for it.

There may be certain scripts which use the wrong prefix, however the
basic distinction is intentional and renaming them might make the names
look similar, but make no sense WRT the functionality of those tools.

HTH, Johannes
Johannes Winkelmann              mailto:jw at smts.ch
Zurich, Switzerland              http://jw.smts.ch