pkgutils-c

Anton Vorontsov cbou at mail.ru
Tue Oct 31 14:48:08 UTC 2006

On Wed, Oct 25, 2006 at 02:30:39AM +0400, Anton Vorontsov wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm pleased to announce pkgutils-c, pkgutils rewritten in C, as purposed
> in http://crux.nu/Main/PkgutilsIdeas article. It is using libarchive,
> and it's drop-in replacement for the pkgutils except that you have to
> rejmerge /etc/pkgadd.conf, as its format changed (regexps must be placed
> in "" quotes and \ character must be escaped by \: like "\\d+").
>
> pkgadd's -u option is meaningless now, but still accepted for the
> compatibility.
>
> There are still may be some amount of bugs, thus don't try it on the box
> you fear to bring down.
>
> And don't blame CRUX developers for the bugs/misbehaviours in pkgutils-c,
> blame me because it is my effort only.

Okay, I've solved all performance issues, and pkgutils-c should be now
even a bit faster than C++ version. No new external libs used. GNU C and
libarchive only dependencies.

Much thanks to Mark Rosenstand who actually tried it, found many bugs,
and sent patches.

I've done "prt-get sysup" (was 60 ports to update for me), and I haven't
seen any breakage afterwards. Thus I assume that that version is
bugfree*.

You can download updated version here:
   ftp://crux-arm.kmeaw.com/pub/crux-arm/depot/pkgutils-c-1.1.tar.bz2
or using git:
   git clone git://crux-arm.kmeaw.com/git/utils

(don't forget to rejmerge just after installing it, pkgadd.conf's
format changed!)

> Ugly but tested Pkgfile under the crux/ directory. I'm using much
> cleaner version, because I have libarchive in my core ports collection.

Good luck,

-- Anton (irc: bd2)

* almost