VFS: Mounted root (reiserfs filesystem) readonly

Theo G. Kanter kanter at kth.se
Fri Sep 1 08:06:12 UTC 2006

I installed Crux 2.2 on a new machine, copying the configuration of the
existing machine. The only difference being that this one is a double
boot with Grub. Crux boots fine but at boot time the following message
succeeds the ReiserFS messages but *only* for the root partition
(/dev/hda6):

	VFS: Mounted root (reiserfs filesystem) readonly

Would very much appreciate hints as to what might caused this and what I
need to do to fix this. The only thing I can think of is that I went
wrong somewhere with Grub, but I cannot see what would be wrong with
(omitting non relevant parts):

	title CRUX
	kernel (hd0,5)/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda6

Nor can I see something particularly out of the ordinary in /etc/fstab:

#
# /etc/fstab: static file system information
#
/dev/hda6              /         reiserfs  defaults   1      0
/dev/hda5              swap      swap      defaults   0      0
/dev/hda7              /var      reiserfs  defaults   1      0
/dev/hda8              /home     reiserfs  defaults   1      0
/dev/hda1              /boot     reiserfs  defaults   1      0
/dev/cdrom   /mnt/cdrom  iso9660   ro,user,noauto,unhide  0      0
devpts             /dev/pts      devpts    defaults   0      0
sysfs              /sys          sysfs     defaults   0      0
proc               /proc         proc      defaults   0      0
usb                /proc/bus/usb usbfs     defaults   0      0

# End of file

--theo