VFS: Mounted root (reiserfs filesystem) readonly

Alan Mizrahi alan+crux at mizrahi.com.ve
Fri Sep 1 12:05:57 UTC 2006

> > The readonly mount from the kernel (VFS) is the expected behaviour. What
> > problems are you seeing you'd like to fix?
> >
> > Regards, Johannes
>
> I wasn't seeing any, but dmesg from basically the same CRUX2.2 on my
> other machine did not contain this same message. This I found suspicious
> combined with newsgroups mentioning quite a few struggling with such
> messages but no real clues. Thank you for clarifying this.
>
> best regards
> Theo

You instruct your kernel to mount root in readonly mode.  Edit your grub
config file (/boot/grub/menu.lst) and look for something like this:

kernel (hd0,0)/boot/bzImage-2.6.16.23 root=/dev/sda1 ro max_scsi_luns=8

Then remove the "ro", or change it with "rw".

Notice that fsck needs that the filesystem is mounted in ro mode, so check
your /etc/rc script and see if it is mounted again in readonly mode.

Alan Mizrahi
+58-412-2228889