Server Migration documentation rsync update

Clemens Koller clemens.koller at anagramm.de
Tue Sep 5 09:07:11 UTC 2006

Hi, Johannes!

I guess it wasn't clear what I've tried to tell/suggest you
because I used different nomenclature.

One problem I experienced of our non-distfile-hosting structure is
that if the distfiles of the remote sources are missing, a package
cannot be built.
In this case (and only this one) we can let pkgmk -d fall back to
a crux-latest-distfile-backupserver (the slave) which had pulled the
distfiles from the remote sources once and at the time when the Pkgfiles
(on the master(s)) have changed.

I would only backup the latest ports trees distfiles and suggest the
users to update the ports tree to make sure to use current, available
distfiles, too.

> Rest assured that if we had a way to calculate the estimated traffic, we
> would have told you in the very first mail covering this subject.

I don't expect that you tell me the estimated traffic. It would
be sufficient to know the current traffic or port download frequency
of the port downloads. (rsync, httpup, cvsup)

Best Greets,

Clemens Koller
R&D Imaging Devices
Anagramm GmbH