CRUX distfile bbackup server (was: Re: Server Migration documentation rsync update)

Clemens Koller clemens.koller at anagramm.de
Wed Sep 6 09:05:12 UTC 2006

Hello, Alan!

> What I do when pkgmk can't find a source is google the filename (for example:
> curl-7.15.5.tar.bz2), download it manually and build it.  I will know if the
> file is the same because the md5 is compared.
>
> Maybe we could do this more automatically: when the source isn't found, use an
> ftpsearch engine to find the file.  Its not 100% foolproof but its better
> than nothing, and doesn't require any maintainance or additional bandwith
> usage.
>
> Another possibility would be changing pkgmk so that the Pkgfile could include
> mirrors for its sources.
>
> Of course this wouldn't be mandatory, but the packages in core and opt should
> always have this mirrors, so that they are more reliable.

You got the point. Same story over here.
If bandwith would allow it, we could replace the manual google+ftpsearch
with an automatic fallback to the crux distfile backup server to make that
step more easy.

But that's not enough: When the machine is idle, we can build the packages
in a sandbox and check for footprint mismatches, too.

Best greets,

Clemens Koller
R&D Imaging Devices
Anagramm GmbH