CRUX distfile bbackup server (was: Re: Server Migration documentation rsync update)

Mark Rosenstand mark at borkware.net
Wed Sep 6 16:59:18 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-09-06 at 13:45 +0200, Tilman Sauerbeck wrote:
> Clemens Koller [2006-09-06 11:05]:
> > But that's not enough: When the machine is idle, we can build the packages
> > in a sandbox and check for footprint mismatches, too.
>
> CRUX' footprints are quite often failing because of optional
> dependencies (this being a non-fatal error of course) so I'm not sure
> whether this particular point is cool ;)

Actually I'm working on a build system that allows for building each
package in a completely clean environment (only base + the package's
dependencies, the chroot/sandbox is wiped after each build.)

This helps to ensure that packages
 - have the correct dependencies, since the build will fail if they
aren't installed at compile time
 - are less influenced by the host system, so the packages should be
faily distributable
 - are always compiled against the wished libraries, ignore autoconf's
"link-against-everything-avaiable" logic

Obviously it will take a bit longer to prepare the sandbox for each
build, but the base system could be a single tar archive (or some hack
like hardlinks + COW or (f)unionfs.

Real support for fakeroot is obviously also planned (running the entire
compilation in a LD_PRELOAD-hacked environment is a bit insane, only the
"make install" and final tar'ing should be fakerooted.)