CRUX from LFS

Clemens Koller clemens.koller at anagramm.de
Thu Sep 7 07:45:44 UTC 2006

Hi, Giorgio

Giorgio Agrelli wrote:

> Hello Clemens,
> Unfortunately we don't have a mailing list... we might open one international
> mailing list on slackware.it, i have to ask a friend... Do you think it could
> be helpful?? I'm not sure about how many persons would subscribe to it,
> probably very few... but if that could help the development and the users...
> well, let's do it! ;-)

Hmm, I prefer mailing lists because the main OpenSource development
communication is going on in mailing lists. I am subscribed to about 15 lists.
Checking 15 different places for information is just not efficient for me.

>> (BTW: cruxppc.sunsite.dk is way too slow for serious work over here)
>

> are you talking about the forum??? well the new look is really ugly i think,
> i've been asking giulivo to change that but he became lazy lately... :-(
> But it doesn't look so slow to me...

I don't care much about the design, as long as the content is okay.
But the speed is reallly far off comfortable!
It takes about 10 seconds to load http://cruxppc.sunsite.dk/wp/index.php to
see the content, about 10 more seconds to finish loading with the white
background. Reading the forum means getting a coffee-addict first.
I see no way to get me on that train.

>> I think that my system - an MPC8540 embedded PPC (BookE, e500 core)
>> should be able to get along with the default ppc stuff most of the time.
>

> I hope it will! :) anyway if you want to join the development team, you're
> welcome...

Thanks!

> we should change quite a bit of things (site, forum, cvs accounts
> on sunsite) to manage working together, but i hope we will eventually manage
> to have things fixed.

I hardly work with cvs. I prefer git which is more powerful.
As already mentioned, I think about getting a root-server for all my stuff.

Hmm... pkgtools, prt-get, httpup are working fine - out of the x86 tree.
I just have to manually get rid of my old out-of-db files first when I
install packages. An example of the new ppc stuff as of today:

root at ecam:/usr/ports/core/udev$ pkgmk -i
=======> Package '/usr/ports/core/udev/udev#096-4.pkg.tar.gz' is up to date.
=======> Installing '/usr/ports/core/udev/udev#096-4.pkg.tar.gz'.
pkgadd /usr/ports/core/udev/udev#096-4.pkg.tar.gz
etc/udev/rules.d/25-lfs.rules
etc/udev/udev.conf
sbin/udevcontrol
sbin/udevd
usr/bin/udevinfo
usr/bin/udevtest
usr/sbin/udevmonitor
pkgadd: listed file(s) already installed (use -f to ignore and overwrite)
=======> ERROR: Installing '/usr/ports/core/udev/udev#096-4.pkg.tar.gz' failed.

root at ecam:/usr/ports/core/udev$ prt-get listinst
httpup
ports
prt-get

Is there already a way to get the conflicting files out of my LFS-tree
moved to i.e. var/lib/pkg/removed/... and with the names written to a
logfile? The -f is too destructive for me, I want to be able to go back to
the previous version if I run into troubles.

> The point is that i suspect giulivo is not interested any more in the
> development of crux-ppc; in the past he destroyed big part of the work i did
> on 64bit systems and on documentation (and of course i was mad for that so for
> a long while i wasn't willing to do anything for crux-ppc) to have something
> similar to crux 2.2 the quick and dirty way. Then he abandoned the thing
> again, and left the cvs in a complete mess and i wasn't able to work with all
> those screwed up files any more...
> Well this stuff is irrelevant to you i'm telling just to explain our
> "lazyness" lately...

Okay, I understand. Time squeezes all men under it's foot like a bug.

Just to give you a focus:
For me, I am doing this (ppc stuff) at work for the company in this
project (an embedded mobile high performance framegrabber).
We have some Mac G4's here as well, with CRUX-2.0 on it.
There was also a G5/64 but no CRUX on it yet due n/a of a distribution.
I do have several x86 and x86-64 with crux on it at the company and at home.

> The cvs tree is really messy now, anyway you should only look at ppc directory
> now and gcc64 if your processor is 64bit (core and opt are obsolete); with the
> new tree layout we only have ports that differ from the x86 tree (we used to
> have all the ports, even the ones that were identical).

I am 32bit only. We don't have a G5/64 here yet.
I am just about to start a new tree... my toolchain (arch=ppc, -me500)
(selfmade from scratch) will be in there as well in the future.

> If you look at the cvs comments, sometimes there is an hint about the
> differences... i proposed to add a field in the pkgfile to explain that but
> none wanted to do that so we didn't do that any more...

That's a pity. That's exactly the information which makes me happy. :-(

> Anyway on the toolchain stuff and on other things you can ask me by mail if
> you wish.

Jep... currently, I have to get an efficient (hacked) solution as quick as
possible as we want to go to a fair by sept. 26 and some new hardware should
be up and running also. But after that and some vacation, I will be
around to spend some time to crux, too, hopefully. :-)

Best greets,

Clemens Koller
R&D Imaging Devices
Anagramm GmbH