Diverting from upstream

Tilman Sauerbeck tilman at crux.nu
Fri Sep 8 09:27:12 UTC 2006

Mark Rosenstand [2006-09-08 10:44]:

Hi,

> One of my personal likings of CRUX is that it's easy to customize and
> extend. Because it (used to?) keep as close to upstream as possible,
> there tend to be fewer distribution-specific bugs.

We _still_ do. But it's probably related to the fact that we don't read
all of the code of the software we're packaging and that we don't fix
any and all bug (-> Debian ;D).

> I've been using/packaging the dchroot utility from Debian for a while.
> It's a small setuid utility to allow regular users to chroot into a
> specified list of directories. Because the path of 'su' is hardcoded
> to /bin/su and CRUX keeps su in /usr/bin/su, I've only used it for
> Debian chroots (running on CRUX) so far. Now, the other day I accidently
> looked at the shadow Pkgfile, and to my surprise su is actually
> installed in /bin and then moved manually to /usr/bin.

Per probably had a good reason to do this... Would be okay by me to undo
that change though.

> To avoid these kinds of distribution-specific problems, I'm kindly
> asking packagers to think twice before deciding to divert from upstream
> - perhaps even limiting it to "required for essential functioning of the
> package" and basic CRUX integration (no nls, man-pages in /usr/man,
> etc.) :)

Uh uh, I actually thought twice before doing that Openbox commit.
I even contact upstream, ziomg! ;)

Regards,
Tilman