Building X11R7.1

lucas at die.net.au lucas at die.net.au
Tue Sep 12 03:11:37 UTC 2006

On Tue, Sep 12, 2006 at 12:02:13PM +1000, Darran Kartaschew wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> I'm currently reinstalling CRUX (due to a HDD failure), and decided to
> try out Danm's v2.2 AMD64 test build.
>
> Being one for trying new stuff, I've successfully installed the latest
> kernel revision and have decided to try out X11R7.1 from X.org (If I
> stuff it up, nothing's lost due to being a clean install).
>
> Anyway, I'm only getting about 90% the way through the install, with an
> error on xkbcomp causing a floating point exception when rebuilding the
> keyboard template files?
>
> I've googled quite a bit and haven't come across anyone else with the
> same error. That leads me to believe that it may be distro related,
> rather than a bug in X (but if it's s bug, does anyone have a patch?).
> Or could it be related to GCC 4.0.3? (I know there are issues with
> Mozilla and gcc4.0.3).
>
> So if anyone has successfully built X11R7.1 on CRUX v2.2 (AMD64) using
> gcc 4.0.3, can you please let me know how and what you did?
>
> If an upgrade to gcc 4.1.x is required, some pointers on the best way to
> update it would be appreciated.
>
> I'm trying to install straight from the bz2 tarballs (using that script
> provided), and have read through the README several times... (I don't
> have an active internet connection at home, and the firewall at work
> currently blocks git:// so can't get the absolutely bleeding edge
> source).
>
> Cheers, Darran
>
> PS. I do realise that Dan's build of CRUX v2.2 (AMD64) is considered a
> test version and the build/project is effectively dead...
> PPS. A copy of this email has been sent to the crux64 ml, but don't know
> how many people still sunscribe to it...

I'm been using danm's crux64 and x11r7 for a while now, I didn't
encounter any problems (short of having to modify a few ports that were
written with x11r6 in mind), and that is with gcc 4.0.3.

Perhaps you could post the log for the build. More than 2 eyes are
better than 2...or something.

--
Lucas Hazel <lucas at die.net.au>

"Clothes make the man. Naked men are rarely taken
seriously, or given employment." (Mark Twain)