FW: mailinglist vs web forum

smagnuson at forzani.com smagnuson at forzani.com
Fri Sep 22 21:22:25 UTC 2006

Hitoshi, forwarded as per your request.  Now I'm going to comment on it
:)

If Crux adoption was bigger I may agree that segregating the forum could
be a good idea.  Thus letting the developers develop and letting the
users use.
But... the Crux user base is not that big.

I don't believe the Crux mailing list is not solely for crux
developments.  Unless I am mistaken I think anything Crux happens here.
Crux is a fairly small community (comparatively).  By having a
segregated forum you will not have all/as many knowledgeable users to
look at your issue.  I for 1 will prob not sign up (being the most
unknowledgeable one here, prob not a loss).  I prefer to have the
request for help to come to me, not to have to go looking for them.  You
also get duplication of content.

Also I believe other non official crux forums (and projects) have
sprouted up and died.  Unless it is official (or has a really dedicated
admin) be aware that any knowledge gathered will probably disappear if
the forum dies.

I'm done spewing..