SATA drives not recognized

Theo Kanter kanter at kth.se
Wed Sep 27 18:37:50 UTC 2006

Kernel 2.6.17.3 does not properly load the IDE disks that are attached to
an onboard raid-controller Promise PDC200378 (aka Fastrak 378 or Fastrak
S150 TX4) which resides on an MSI 865PE-NEO FISR2 motherboard as a "south
bridge" for a maximum of two IDE disks and two SATA disks. I configured
the BIOS for two IDE disks and RAID1, but the same thing happens when I
configure this as SATA. These errors seen in the dmesg file as error
messages (attached):

  ata1: SATA link down (SStatus 0)
  scsi0 : sata_nv
  ata2: SATA link down (SStatus 0)
  scsi1 : sata_nv

The motherboard BIOS and Promise BIOS think everything is just fine.
Perhaps I am lacking the correct drivers but the ones on
http://www.promise.com/support/download/download2_eng.asp?productId=108&category=driver&os=4&go=GO#
aren't much help. There are also some old versions for redhat, suse, and
mandrake, which aren't exactly what I need:

http://www.promise.com/support/download/download2_eng.asp?productId=108&category=driver&os=3&go=GO
http://www.promise.com/support/download/download2_eng.asp?productId=108&category=driver&os=1&go=GO

So my questions are:
a) is this a driver problem or did I miss something in .config (attached).
b) if so, are there any other available drivers that can be used on Crux 2.2?
c) if not, can I adapt the ones above?
d) or else, should I go for some other piece of hardware (e.g. an ITE8212f)?

Thanks in advance,
--theo