mailinglist vs web forum

Michele Dondi blazar at pcteor1.mi.infn.it
Thu Sep 28 08:07:56 UTC 2006

On Fri, 22 Sep 2006, Tobias Richter wrote:

> I'm quit new to the crux community but i really like it - it's one of
> the best distribution i used so far (the ports system is really great
> and crux linux is so kiss).

Agreed!

> But there are is one point where crux can not keep up with other
> distributions and that is the help for "crux newbies" (i don't meen
> linux newbies for this species maybe a other disti. is better...). There

I beg to differ. CRUX has a reputation of being a distro targeted at
experts, but I'm far from being one, and I'm happily using it. OTOH it
does help increasing one's expertise.

> is quit a good documentation but the only way where a user can ask
> questitions are irc or the mailinglist. I like irc and mailinglists, but

I have no experience with irc, but generally I favour ml and/or nntp
approach, better if both channels are available and integrated. (There's
now an easy solution for this in terms of gmane.)

> forums are quit normal for every distribution and they have disadvantage
> but they also advantages specialy for new users. And forums are mostly
> better adoptive then mailinglists - so nearly every distri. have a forum

Whether they're "normal" or not I don't really care much. A mail or nntp
based form of support is better suited to the kiss phylosophy of CRUX.

> only crux linux have none. Hence i have simply put a forum under the
> domain crux-forum.com. please review and maybe someone can put a link at
> crux.nu to the forum ?

IMHO it would be nice if such a beast would not provide a *separate*
channel than the ml, but if they were integrated. There should be
technical means to do so.

> I respect Johannes thoughts about a forum and we will follow them:
> 1. for this to work, motivated CRUX _users_ must take the responsibility to provide help/support there
> 2. the mailing list is authoritive and the place for "official" discussion.

Well done!

Michele
--
If memory serves, Prof. Hermann Zapf considered using Palatino for his wedding
invitation (but reconsidered and used one of his wife's designs instead ---