Yet another install method

Bernd Eggink monoped at sudrala.de
Wed Aug 1 14:08:54 UTC 2007

I just installed Crux 2.3 on an old IBM Thinkpad X24, where neither the
normal installation method nor the NFS method proposed by Jürgen Daubert
worked. The peculiar situation is that this notebook has an external USB
cdrom drive, which the Crux installation system can't handle, and no floppy
drive to boot from.

This is the solution I found. Maybe it can be of use to others, too.

1. Boot the system from a live Linux CD-ROM with good hardware detection,
like Knoppix.
2. Create a partition on the hard disk big enough to hold the contents of
the Crux CD-ROM.
3. Make a file system in this partition.
4. Copy the contents of the Crux CD-ROM to the file system's root. Provided
that your network is working, transfer it using scp or NFS from another
system, or use a USB stick.
5. Shut down the system and boot again, now from the Crux CD-ROM. At the
boot prompt, say "CRUX root=/dev/hdaX", where hdaX is the partition you
created.

The rest is the same as with a normal install. As soon as the system is
running, the additional partition can be deleted, re-used as a swap
partition or whatever.

Regards,
Bernd

--