Crux and WLAN

Jesse Kokkarinen jesse.kokkarinen at kapsi.fi
Sat Feb 17 19:36:21 UTC 2007

On Wed, Feb 14, 2007 at 08:17:40PM +0100, Wawrzyniec Niewodniczański wrote:
> Hello,

Hi

> I have a question. I've bought old IBM ThinkPad T21 and Linksys WPC54G
> V3. I wonder how to installed Crux on it. I have no net (wireless card
> dosen't work) I think it should works with Ndiswrapper, but it is in
> opt, but no at CD. I think the only way is to download the source in
> Windows and then build in in Crux. Or maybe is other way?

I highly suggest you install using a wired lan in the beginning. Wlan is a
mess outside the establishment (Windows, Mac). Focus on installing the base
system first, then install ndiswrapper.

> I think Ndiswrapper should be added to CD in the next version of Crux.
> What do you think about it?

I disagree with this. ndiswrapper depends on the kernel and sometimes there
could be compatibility issues, etc.
There will also be the problem getting the necessary driver to the
environment. Well, true you can use a usb memory stick, but still it can get
difficult.

I will admit I am biased against ndiswrapper. Especially considering the
numerous times it managed to hard lock my laptop after loading the kernel
module... ARGH.

--
jesse | GPG key 3C06853C