why as many things deleted (opt) / and potentially broken source downloads?

Tom Rindborg Tom.Rindborg at fatburen.org
Mon Jan 29 10:21:56 UTC 2007

On Sun, 28 Jan 2007, Hannes Mayer wrote:

> About the ports, i agree with ronny.
> Its not very cool, simple kick them out. If the Maintainer has no time, is
> there no other? Or why don't ask somebody if he will maintain this Ports.
> All ports in there own repository isn't a good solution.

I fully understand that ports sometimes must be deleted from the official
repos due to the lack of maintenance, and I don't really have a problem
with that, except that I find the "surprise" effect slightly annoying.
Sometimes you don't notice that a port is gone for some time, and then
when you need it you must dig in backups/git repositories/what have you in
order to find a copy.

How about posting a warning notice to this list, something along the lines
of "In two weeks time the following ports will be removed from the
official repos"? That would give people ample time to
backup/repackage/whatever before the port disappears. Who knows, there
might even pop up the occasional new maintainer... ;-)
--
Hälsningar/Best regards, Tom
Tom Rindborg                            Phone: +46-8-599 984 40
Stockholm, Sweden                       MailTo:Tom.Rindborg at fatburen.org
                  "If you have to hate, hate gently."