why as many things deleted (opt) / and potentially broken source downloads?

Lucas Hazel lucas at die.net.au
Mon Jan 29 12:25:31 UTC 2007

On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 23:15:35 +1100
Joe Gilmour <jgilmour at bigpond.net.au> wrote:

> > How about posting a warning notice to this list, something along
> > the lines of "In two weeks time the following ports will be removed
> > from the official repos"? That would give people ample time to
> > backup/repackage/whatever before the port disappears. Who knows,
> > there might even pop up the occasional new maintainer... ;-)
> I like this idea. The growing list of orphaned ports I seem to be
> collecting is a little irritating and this might help.  I'd be more
> than happy to maintain a few ports.
>
> Joe

Once upon a time wasn't there an "unmaintained" repository. Perhaps
such a repository should be used again, but put a time limit on how long
they stay in the repository for. This would prevent the "nasty suprise"
effect and the time limit would prevent such a repository from becoming
too big (possibly the reason for it's removal).

--
Lucas Hazel <lucas at die.net.au>

"Clothes make the man. Naked men are rarely taken
seriously, or given employment." (Mark Twain)